top of page

Italy - Day 3 : Mountain stage

While planning the route I expected today to be the toughest, with the hardest climbs. After breakfast we first went to the same bakery and supermarket where we had been yesterday. Afterwards it took some searching to find the right road. We began right away with col des Robines, which wasn't very difficult.

col des robines

The col des Robines.

Next we cycled past the Verdon river and Lac de Castillon. The temperature was still bearable.


Lac de Castillon

After the lake we relatively easily made our way up col de Toutes Aures.

col de toutes aures

Col de Toutes Aures

We went downhill a bit and then arrived at the Gorges (canyons) de Rousillon. In the most southern part the riverbed was more than a hundred meters wide.

gorges de rousillon

The start of Gorges de Roussillon

The further we climbed the smaller the riverbed became and the steeper the cliffs.

gorges de rousillon
gorges de rousillon
gorges de rousillon

Gorges de Roussillon

During our 100 cols tour part 2 trip we cycled through Gorges de Cains. Those were 50 km to the East and run parallel to the Gorges de Roussillon. The Gorges de Cains are all red, but the Gorges de Roussillon didn't turn red until farther north.

gorges de rousillon
gorges de rousillon

The red part of the Gorges

The road we were on wavered just next to the edge of the ravine. The way up had been totally exposed while the descent sometimes past through tunnels.

gorges de rousillon

A bridge over de Gorges

At the end of the Gorges we descended towards Valberg. It was more than 35 degrees. At a gas station in Valberg we bought a bottle of water for 2,50. Ten meters further we noticed a public fountain. Climbing the col de Valberg felt like one of the toughest climbs of the vacation. Not because it was especially steep or long, but because I wasn't used to the heat yet, wasn't in a good enough shape, and already pretty tired. Bram was in better shape and was cycling a kilometer ahead of me. We were climbing at the hottest part of the day, around 2 o'clock.

col de valberg

Climbing the Valberg

Somewhere at the bottom of the climb a cyclist was walking up. I asked if everything was ok, he said he was fine, but was tired and felt like it was too warm. He also said 'your bike is very loud'. I guess from Italian it makes sense to translate 'heavy' to 'loud'?

col de valberg
col de valberg

Col de Valberg, 1672 meters

When we were nearly at the top a car passed us. In the trunk lay somebody with his bike waving at us, it was the Italian. At the summit we didn't descent much and quickly arrived in Beuil. I had made a schedule of places we needed to ended up everyday to finish the entire trip within 12 days. Today that would be in Beuil, but it was only 16:00 in the afternoon. After two days we thus were already half a day ahead of schedule. We bought some pastries at a bakery.

Afb 00020.jpg

A church in Beuil

In the descent we passed a fruit store. There was an old lady working. The store was so cramped that we could barely fit between the racks. Outside were gas cylinders, wood, and vegetables. Inside was a showcase with year old cheese and meat. We bought two nectarines, they were nice and juicy. We had already climbed the next col, the col de la Couillole, during our 100 cols tour part 2. We still remembered it not being super tough, because there are only a few hundred meters of height difference. That turned out to be correct, we arrived at the top relatively quick.

Col de La Couillole

Col de La Couillole, 1678 meter

Col de La Couillole

Bram at de col

I could still remember the descent from col de La Couillole to Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée as one of the prettiest from the 100 cols tour. It started with many hairpin turns, then the road meandered down the mountain. It was pretty steep, with many sharp turns, but no hairpin turns where we really needed to slam our brakes. Near the end of the way down the road passed through a few short tunnels, hacked out in the rocks.


View during the descent 

Once we got down we were again in the river valley. Bram said he remembered we descended another 20 kilometers during the 100 cols tocht, along a river leading to Isola. That's where the last climb of today would start, the col de Lombarde. Unfortunately, Bram was wrong and the 20 km were uphill.


We wouldn't be able to make that in one go, as we were hungry and tired from the four mountains we had already climbed today. We quickly ate and continued to Isola. There was a campsite, but it wasn't late enough to stop cycling yet. We decided to eat again at a restaurant, to have a decent meal before starting the col de Lombarde. We couldn't order until 7 so first had a few drinks. We were both completely cooked by the heat and cycling.


We wanted to order tartar, but the waitress explained it would be raw meat. That didn't seem like a good idea so we got fries and a hamburger instead. When the dinner finally came out I could hardly eat because my heart rate was still 180. After an hour I still didn't feel rested but we needed to continue.

The col de Lombarde had the greatest height difference of the entire vacation. It was steep, but not horrible.

col de Lombarde

Bart climbing

We continued until it got dark. It was difficult to find a place to sleep on the slopes. There were hardly any side roads and not a flat piece of ground insight. Fortunately we found a dirt road closed off to cars. After 100 meters it reached a dead end with some trees and rocks. That was ideal.

camping on col de Lombarde

The campsite

Afb 00029.jpg

Bram's selfie

We could hear the river flowing below. That night didn't sleep that well, because I was too tired.


The route of day 3


Today's height profile, col des Robines, col de Toutes Aures, col de Valberg, col de la Couillole,
and part of col de Lombarde. The last section contains some errors.

Distance cycled : 132 km

bottom of page